Looking Back \ Part Three

The beginning of the end

Three weeks before my husband was admitted to inpatient hospice, he experienced an increase in bone pain. His daily medications were no longer easing his discomfort. I remember the initial comment from his hospice nurse, “Let’s admit him to the inpatient facility where we can get his pain under control.”  Michael sat in the wheel chair facing the open French doors, while I was behind him gripping the handles as if they might keep me from fainting.

“What are you able to do for him at the hospice facility that you can’t accomplish here? Just call the doctor and have him increase his medication dosage.”  I replied. By this time my hands were shaking and tears ran down my cheeks. I wrapped my arms around Michael’s upper chest from behind wanting to feel his closeness. Somehow I knew that when he left this house, he would never return. 

Our hospice nurse called the doctor and was able to increase the dosage to better manage his pain from home. We had our reprieve. But perhaps Michael wasn’t looking to extend his life, he probably was ready to let go at that time. I was the one prolonging his misery. 

Home away from home                                                                

During this time we lived in our friend’s home, and let me clarify that, the friend and his family were living in another state at the time. It never seemed like home, no matter what items I brought in from our home, no matter which friends and family were around. It was a mansion in a prestigious central Phoenix area with seven bathrooms, five bedrooms, a Jacuzzi, pool, huge patio front and back on several acres, and an electronic gated secured entrance. The walk from the downstairs bedroom into the kitchen was a half block area. And the French doors stretched from one end of the main floor to the other end. None of this state of the art décor mattered—it wasn’t our home. 

I remember crying to Michael and begging him to go back to our home. In retrospect, this occurred during my most stressful time at the end of his illness. I wonder now how I could have even muttered those words to my ill husband.  Somehow I thought if we could be back in our modest home, everything might get better; his illness might go into remission, the nurses might not visit daily, his pain might subside, his edematous legs might not ooze, his collar and scapula bone might not be so prominent, and our lives would once again be our own.  

 Michael and Terry

 Planning ahead

I’m thinking about our last Halloween, when the temperature finally broke and we knew that fall was approaching. I talked with Michael about Thanksgiving and who we should invite. We talked about the holidays and our children and grandchildren’s birthdays in November and December. I wanted to schedule for the months ahead because I thought if we made definite plans that he wouldn’t die in the fall. That he might live through Chanukah, perhaps through New Year’s, maybe we’d be able to celebrate Valentine’s Day and his birthday in mid-March. 

All of my conversations about the future turned out to be something I needed to do for myself. You see, Michael accepted his death early on. It was his wife who postponed it until it was evident that her husband could no longer deal with the pain and suffering.  It was easy for me to want Michael to live; after all, I didn’t want him to leave me. I had and have no excuse for this selfish behavior.

During the last week of his life, he was admitted to a hospice facility. I remember the small room at the end of the hallway with a tiny bathroom, a hospital bed, and two chairs. French doors next to a small desk opened up to a view of the parking lot. There were no grassy areas, no flowers, just dirt, concrete and cars, and occasional moans from dying patients. These French doors were narrow, unlike the ones in our home away from home. We often opened them up to let in the cool night air.

On the second day of his hospice stay, the rabbi called me into his room and said we needed to have a conversation. Michael turned to me and asked me in a weak voice to give him permission to die. I looked into his eyes and knew he was ready to go and that I couldn’t hold up his decision any longer. I had detained him from death long enough. So without hesitating, I put my hand in his and told him it was alright to leave me. Four days later, he was gone.

Michael Sherwin Ratner died peacefully on November 16, 2010.




About TRatner

Terry Ratner is a freelance writer, registered nurse, and writing instructor in Phoenix, Arizona. In June of 2004, she graduated with a Master of Fine Arts degree in creative nonfiction from Antioch University, Los Angeles. Writing has always served a purpose in her life, but it wasn't until her son died in a motorcycle accident in March, 1999, that she began to publish her works. What's unique about Terry is the way she balances the life of a nurse with the life of a writer. "Nursing allows me to give back to the community and then write about those experiences." Ratner teaches creative writing in a variety of settings from community colleges to a school for homeless children (Thomas J. Pappas) to wellness communities throughout the Valley of the Sun. In 2004, Terry launched an Arts and Healing program for children undergoing dialysis at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center. She has published numerous personal essays, cover stories, interviews, and book reviews for a variety of national and regional publications. Her manuscript, a work in progress, features a series of twelve essays, ten of which are introduced with black and white photos, dealing with issues of family and identity.
This entry was posted in The Widow's Corner and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Looking Back \ Part Three

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. My husband died in a hospice facility as well, after battling leukemia for almost two years. He died a little less than a year after Michael. I too remember the bone pain, the constant doctors visits, the pain medication and everything. I remember his mom asking me if I had told him it was okay to go.. And I remember having the one sided conversation, me telling him that and the next moment he was gone.. I wish this on no one and hope that we have comfort.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s